Friday, June 26, 2009

This one's for the teachers who inspired me to pursue teaching.


Today in EDUC 504, while the A-J last names were upstairs setting up their blogs, we K-Z people had a great discussion about how we see our classrooms in the future. At the beginning of the discussion, Jeff Stanzler mentioned one thing we could talk about to launch our blogs: who were the teachers we had who exemplify the kind of teachers we’d like to become?


One of those teachers for me is actually a field instructor in our program.


At the beginning of Robin Wax’s “humanities approach to American history” class (I’ve forgotten the actual title) at Pioneer High School, Mrs. Wax heard me complaining about how I disliked history. It just seemed so boring to me, remembering all those historical facts. Why was it important? She said to me, “Sarah, I will make you like history.” By the end of that course (or actually, not too far into it), she had converted me. She definitely constructed meaning for me and the other students in that class, which was fortunately small, lending to substantive discussions. Through multiple media available at the time (documentary films, varied literature), and her enthusiasm for the subject and for us as students, Mrs. Wax really made “history come alive” (quoting Brittany Pack).


The other teacher I had early on who awakened my love of literature (I am going to be an English teacher, after all) was my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. (Barbara) Upton. Throughout the year, she had us memorize poems, and about once a month we got together in the evenings with our parents for poetry reading recitals.


One of my favorite poems that I learned and recited was Robert Frost’s famous poem, “The Road Not Taken.” I couldn’t recite that poem now, but thanks to Mrs. Upton’s teaching, I’ve carried its themes down many roads since.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful tribute to two inspiring teachers, Sarah. When time permits, say a bit more about what you mean when you talk about Robin Wax helping you to construct meaning for yourself. What do you think that she did, relative to the material that you were studying, that was different? What did she, through her style of practice, enable you to do (what skills did you see her supporting?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... Nice Blog+Photo^^ I cannot even remember when I went to Chicago... I hope you had fun^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,
    I've been thinking about your comment for several days now. That's a tough one, but I think I touched on something today in class when I was talking about the pro-social learning environment, and teachers learning from students and vice versa. Mrs. Wax was definitely that kind of teacher. She made history relevant for me by making it ABOUT me and everyone in the class, by showing us how the events of the past have shaped the present and the way we interpret those events and historical figures - the lessons and teachers of the past - effect the way we shape the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Stacie. :)
    I always have fun in Chicago. My friend who lives there was my roommate at State and I only get to see her once or twice a year, so we have a lot of catching and cracking up to do. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, Jeff, in terms of style of practice, Robin Wax wasn't just at the head of the classroom, she came around and spoke to us directly and encouraged us to speak to each other. Much like you do.
    I wanted to say, also, regarding yesterday in class, that while I felt like what I said was a good contribution to the discussion (couldn't keep it to myself), it didn't exactly jibe with what the person before me was talking about, which renders my comment kind of ironic in light of the fact that I was preaching pro-social, but not exactly practicing that. ;)

    ReplyDelete