Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer term tech journal entry

All right, well, I subscribed to everyone's blog. I haven't tried to make comments yet, but now that everyone's in my Google reader, I'm really hoping I'll be able to get that to work. Technology can be super cool, but working out the bugs can be very frustrating. Here's a rundown of the issues I've encountered in the summer term:
- a bunch of them that I'm not even thinking of right now as I stare out the window at the pond out back...
- can't get headphones to work on this computer. Didn't think it'd be a problem (except when watching videos in class) until someone suggested that I should have "the tech people" look at that, because what if I want to show a video in class from my computer. Will need sound for that. Note to self: look into that.
- Having numerous problems trying to post comments to people's blogs from ctools. Updating Firefox on this computer didn't work for some reason. I could download other software (Skim... which reminds me, that's another thing to discuss; and I updated Quicktime - Oh! another issue I just remembered - so I could watch a REALLY hilarious video on facebook. Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous after this blog post I'll try to embed it here. Maybe.), but I could NOT seem to get the update of Firefox to work because my computer says I am running an old version of it, another time it told me that I didn't have administrative rights to do that. Sounds like a "tech people" question.
- Skim. I could not for the life of me figure out how to highlight with that thing. Consequently, I've used all my paper printouts for the summer term... and I don't know if I want to change this practice.
- Quicktime. After the session on editing in Quicktime, when I went home to try to edit the bio of Stella I did for that class (490 I think), I could NOT remember how to do it. The directions were not enlightening. I'll have to look into that again, but fortunately iMovie was actually easier for me because I'd had some training in editing video using FinalcutPro at the newspaper. Which all sounds counterintuitive, I realize, but I guess I have this tech thing going for me. However, when the recent grad of the program who talked to our cohort today said always to use Quicktime because it's so much easier, I thought... [expletive].
I guess that's all I can think of for now. I think the most important thing to remember with technology is to have patience, and to remind myself that whatever problems I may be having, none of them (knock on wood) will compare to having to reboot my computer a minimum of 10 times a day when I worked at the newspaper. You can't even begin to understand that kind of frustration, well, maybe you can, but I hope you don't.

2 comments:

  1. Nope. Commenting did not work in Firefox still.
    I forgot to mention that I got it to work once yesterday in Safari, and then my internet connection slowed to a crawl, so I couldn't do anymore commenting.
    That's another issue I've encountered is some bad juju between this computer and my internet connection. Not sure what that's all about, but I seem to have figured out how to solve that problem by restarting my computer every time I lose my connection. Ah... computers. Gotta love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might be able to help with the headphone problem...not sure about anything else, you might have to go to the "tech people" :-)

    I agree with your statement that with all it's benefits trying to set everyone up so it works can be a lot of time and work. Hopefully once it is set up, you don't have to do it again!

    ReplyDelete